The Prime Minister’s Research Fellowship (PMRF) scheme is aimed at attracting the talent pool of the country to doctoral (Ph.D.) programs of Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) and Indian Institute of Science (IISc) for carrying out research in cutting edge science and technology domains, with focus on national priorities.
Under the PMRF scheme, students who have completed, or are pursuing, the final year of four year undergraduate or five year integrated M.Tech or five year integrated M.Sc. or five year undergraduate-postgraduate dual degree programs in Science and Technology streams from IISc/IITs/NITs/IISERs and centrally funded IIITs are eligible for admission to full time Ph.D. programme in the IITs & IISc provided they fulfil prescribed eligibility criteria and finally get selected after shortlisting/written test/interview. For each participating IIT and IISc the Ph.D admissions under the PMRF scheme will be supernumerary.
Candidates who fulfill the eligibility criteria, and are finally selected through a selection process, will be offered admission to Ph.D. program in one of IITs/IISc with a fellowship of Rs.70,000/- per month for the first two years, Rs.75,000/- per month for the 3rd year, and Rs.80,000/- per month in the 4th and 5th years. Apart from this, a research grant of Rs.2.00 lakh per year will be provided to each of the Fellows for a period of 5 years to cover their academic contingency expenses and for foreign/national travel expenses.
There will be a rigorous review of the performance of Prime Minister’s Research Fellowship holders and continuation of the next year fellowship shall be contingent upon successful review.
- Commencement of submission of applications: 24 February 2018
- Deadline for submission of the applications: 31 March 2018
- Tentative dates for interviews at Nodal institutions: 15 May 2018 onwards
- Tentative date for announcement of results: 01 June 2018
The candidates for the PMRF should:
• have completed or be pursuing the final year of four year undergraduate or five year integrated M.Tech or five year integrated M.Sc. or five year undergraduate-postgraduate dual degree programs in Science and Technology streams from IISc/IITs/NITs/IISERs and centrally funded IIITs;
• have secured at least CGPA/CPI of 8.0 (in scale of 10.0). For candidates in five year integrated or dual degree programs if separate CGPAs/CPIs are awarded for UG and PG parts of the program then the CGPA/CPI of UG part (first four year) will be considered.
• have completed the required academic qualification in the last five years.
- Merely satisfying the eligibility requirement does not guarantee admission. Final selection for admission of candidates will be done following a rigorous selection process.
- Students completed B.Tech. from a college not included in the list of qualifying institutes above and thereafter obtained M.Tech. form IIT were not eligible to apply under this category
Wtritten Test + Interview The syllabus for the written test will be same as that of GATE/JAM/CEED, as applicable
The following would be the fellowship for the PMRFs:
Apart from this, each Fellow would be eligible for a research grant of Rs. 2 lakhs per year (total Rs. 10 lakh)
The tenure of fellowship will be four years for students from integrated courses and five years for B. Tech. students.
Industry participation in the PMRF programme would be explored through CSR funding so as to enable industry to sponsor maximum number of fellows.